This is the series that is usually referred to as the “Pink”; also known as the short phonetic series. The emphasis here is introducing children to words that are constructed from three letters or less which contain short vowel sounds. Students are given many opportunities to explore beginning and ending sounds as well. This series contains six main sections with each section having the following sets of materials:
- Beginning Decoding of three-letter, short vowel words:
- Object word building (5 groups, one for each: a, e, i, o, u) *
- Picture word building (5 groups, one for each: a, e, i, o, u)
- Three Part Card Matching (10 three-part card pictures for each vowel sound)
- Beginning Encoding of three-letter, short vowel words:
- Object/ label matching (15 objects – 3 for each vowel with corresponding labels) *
- Picture/Word Matching (12 pictures for each vowel sound for a total of 6 packets of 10 picture/label matching)
- Puzzle Pictures (48 pictures with 12 pictures of each vowel sound)
- Encoding of three letters, short vowel words:
- Middle Vowel Sorting Activity (45 frames containing a picture and the beginning and ending sound corresponding to that sound)
- Word Lists (42 word lists)
- Middle Vowel Substitution (15 frames with each frame containing 2 words)
- Reading three-letter, short vowel words for meaning:
- Word/Not a Word (Sorting Work)
- Phrases to Objects (6 sets of phrase cards with corresponding objects) *
- Reading secret three-letter, short vowel words (adjectives and verbs) for meaning:
- Secret Words (32 words for verbs; 12 words for adjectives)
- Reading phrases and sentences with three-letter, short vowel words for meaning:
- Matching Phrases and sentences to pictures (4 sets with 6 sentences that match 6 pictures in each set)
- Commands (8 command cards)
- Books (5 story books with three letter short vowel words and sight words)
- We strongly encourage the One-word phonetic reading booklets (30 booklets sold separately).
For a complete look at the full set of the ETC Montessori pink reading series including, history, implementation, general scope, sample pages and a gallery of pictures that shows various objects please visit MontessoriReadingSeries.com
This set of materials comes ready to be used in the classroom. All cards are printed on plastic, cut and all corners are rounded.
* Note: Objects are sold separately as an option. Objects come with separate object module which provides additional cards for reading, decoding, and sorting.
** Objects may change based on availability. Cards will change due to object substitution or object removal.
*** Teacher's Book is designed so it reflects the complete solution including objects and one-page readers. If you opt not to purchase these items, the Teacher's Book will not change.
- 12 ETC Clear Open Containers - Small
- 2 ETC Clear Open Containers - Large
- 2 ETC Acrylic Sorters- Crystal