Aimed at advanced upper elementary and middle school students. 24 activities allow your students to explore traditional geometric constructions using only a compass and a straight edge.
Students are first guided through the concrete constructions using a compass and a straight edge. They are then moved into more abstract geometric concepts the use of Cabri Jr. for the TI-84 calculator.
You may download the app for your TI-84 graphing calculator directly from Texas Instrument by following the link here: DOWNLOAD
Each lesson is designed to engage students in group activities and analysis of concepts. Open ended questions are included with each lesson to encourage higher level thinking skills.
- Constructing congruent Segments
- Constructing The Midpoint of any Given Segment
- The Mascheroni Construction of Finding the Midpoint of a Segment
- Constructing Congruent Angles
- Constructing the Bisector of an Angle
- Constructing an Equilateral Triangle
- Constructing a Perpendicular Bisector of a Given Segment
- Constructing the Perpendicular to a Line at a Given Point On the Line
- Constructing the Perpendicular to a Line at a Given Point Not on the Line
- Constructing a Parallel to a Given Line
- Constructing a Square
- Constructing a Right Triangle
- Constructing an Isosceles Right Triangle
- Constructing an Isosceles Trapezoid
- Constructing the Orthocenter of a Given Triangle
- Constructing the Centroid of a Triangle
- Constructing a Tangent to a Circle at a Point On the Circle
- Constructing a Tangent to a Circle Through a Point in the Exterior of the Circle
- Finding the Center of a Circle
- Circumscribe a Circle About a Given Triangle
- Inscribe a Circle in a Triangle
- Divide a Given Segment into Specified Number of Congruent Segments
- Constructing a Fourth Segment in Proportion to Three Given Segments
- Constructing a Segment Whose Length is the Geometric Mean of Two Other Segments
View the standards that are met through this material.
***For those who want to use the calculator to perform these constructions please note that the TI-84 Plus comes preloaded with the application. No additional purchases are required. If you are using the TI-83 you will need to visit the Texas Instrument Educational website to download Cabri Jr. free of charge. ***